Saturday, November 8, 2008

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge # 5 - Memoirs of a Geisha



We are excited this week to premier the Oscar Winning movie: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005). It is adapted to the Silver Screen by Robin Swicord and is based on the book by Arther Golden. According to IMDb, this movie had 28 nominations, 6 of which were Oscars, 3 of which it won (in the categories of Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design and Best Art Direction). This movie is really stunning in its artistic flavors. The colors, angles, textures within the movie are simply breathtakingly beautiful as are the music and score.

The movie chronicles the life a of a young girl from her roots in poor fishing village to becoming known as the most celebrated geisha in Japan. She was sold into a geisha house to raise for her parents and this separation from her parents and sister gives her the determination to look within and become the best with the sudden turn in her situation.

We both loved the colors and the artistic palette that this movie inspires in creating our cards. The rich fabrics and beautiful colors are just gorgeous. Here are our cards from this Cinema Saturday's creative challenge.

Brooke's card:





for more details check out Brooke's blog



Sankari's card:

for more details and to see her other card for this challenge, check out Sankari's blog.


Now its your turn!!! We would love to see what inspired YOU from the movie. There is so much inspiration from the colors, the fabrics, the dance, the cinematography, the music, the characters, etc. and you can create cards, layouts, altered projects - really anything - whatever inspires you!!!!

Projects uploads are due Thursday 9:00p.m. PST

Leave a comment on this post with a link to your blog post or gallery. If you're uploading to Splitcoast please use keyword" Cinema Saturday #4 or CSCC#5". You are not required to make a card. We welcome all mediums, cards, altered projects, scrapbook pages, etc.
You do not have to have seen or watched the movie to create a card, layout, etc. - we give some sites that you can check out to get inspiration from about the movie if you haven't seen it.
Need some inspiration before you get started on your project?
Here are a few links to some sites of Memoirs of a Geisha:

You can check out Wikipedia for more plot summary. Check out the official site for the movie here. Watch Chiyo's transformation into a Geisha here.

We hope you enjoy this movie - it was a great way for us to see this movie that we both had been wanting to see and then create a card after watching it. We hope that you all enjoy this week's Cinema Saturday Challenge and can't wait to see all your beautiful creations!!

See you at the movies!
Hugs,
Sankari and Brooke

19 comments:

Brooke S said...

LOVE the card Sankari!!!!!HOW Absolutely Gorgeous!
Sorry it took so long all I was having problems uploading the photo.

Hugs

Have fun!
Brooke

Sankari W. said...

Brooke - your card is just beautifu!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the little centerpiece - as Abbie asked last night: how did you do that? Your card is beautiful and gorgeous!!
SO great to talk last night and today! Have fun with class - off to dance practice :)
Hugs,
Sankari :)

Sankari W. said...

Can't wait to see all of your lovely creations!!!

Amy, Ottawa, Canada said...

Brooke, Sankari, your cards are beautiful as always.

So, I'm back from Hockey, & first dance class. What's the first thing I did? Check the CSCC Blog. LOL

Mémoires

Thanks for the fun!

Sam said...

Fabulous cards Sankari and Brooke!

I have only just found the Cinema Saturday challenges. What a fun idea. I'm going to go and rent this movie today and see what I can do!

Thank you for the inspiration :-)
Sam.

SmilynStef said...

I finally got the chance to play along ... very fun. Here's my card:

Magenta Geisha

Ophthalmologist said...

Ooooh, your cards are just wonderful! I'd so much love to take part in this week's challenge, too, but I'm at a meeting in Atlanta, GA, until Wednesday, so there'll be no chance to stamp. But I'm curious to see all your creations!

Catherine said...

Glad to join you at the movies this week :)
Both cards are just AMAZING...as always.

Here's mine...http://inksomia.blogspot.com/2008/11/cscc-presents-memoirs-of-geisha.html

Sam said...

Hi again,

Well you can see my little cards here:

Memoirs of a Geisha

I do not feel like I have done this beautiful film justice, but I did have a lot of fun!

Thanks,
Sam.

Nellie Mae said...

Okay....I wish I knew how to submit a hyperlink word instead of a link....but anyway, here is my card. I stayed home from work today so that I could get some much needed rest and relaxation....it was the perfect opportunity to work on this card. I love this movie!! Great inspiration!

http://nelliemaeii.blogspot.com/2008/11/cinema-saturday-creative-challenge-5.html

Sam said...

Hi there.

I couldn't help myself. My beautiful papers were asking to be used...so I made another card:

Memoirs of a Geisha

Thanks again!
Sam.

Maria said...

Wow both your cards are so pretty, Sankari and Brooke.

I saw this movie. . .it was such a great movie. I hope I can find the time to play . . .I have to dig through my pile of stamps to look for an oriental one!


Maria

Arielle H Gordon said...

Wow~ there are some amazing cards up so far! I combined this card with the Mojo sketch... so maybe it's too wierd?

Paper cranes and blossoms.

Becky said...

I love ya'lls cards! WOW! Mine is a little sad next to them, but I really love this movie and wanted to participate.

My Card

zukesgirl said...

here is my entry -

http://zukesgirl.blogspot.com/

Brooke and Sankaris are BOTH just gorgeous!

Sherri said...

Sorry I was away for this week's challenge, but both of your creations are lovely!!

Ann said...

Hi, ladies! Don't want you to think I'm ignoring you--my computer was in the shop all week. :( BUT, I'm ready for the next movie challenge! :D

Anthonette said...

I'm always cutting the deadline close. Here's mine
http://chavezdesigns.blogspot.com/2008/11/loved-memoirs-of-geisha.html

Marie said...

Here is my entry: http://alohanmabuhay.blogspot.com/2008/11/couple-of-entries.html

I was able to finish the P and P with Colin Firth. I like it the best of the three versions! He played the part so well!