Saturday, June 26, 2010

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge #85 - State Fair

Welcome Everyone to our 85th Challenge, where this week we are featuring the Rodgers and Hammerstein movie musical: State Fair. All over the country, you might have seen ads for the State Fair in your local state. We thought it would be fun to mark this summery event by featuring this movie!!! You might not have see this movie - but its just a fun and lovely classic - although the original movie was made in 1933 (and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture, many people prefer the 1945 remake: State Fair movie which on an Oscar (for best original musical) over the second remake which was created in 1962.

In a gist, this movie is about: Well - here is a little summary from Wikipedia:

The Frake family heads off for the Iowa State Fair - each with their own hopes for the trip. Mother Melissa (Fay Bainter) hopes her mincemeat will beat a rival's. Father Abel (Charles Winninger) is bringing his prize boar, Blue Boy, to show. Their son Wayne (Dick Haymes) has a lesson to teach to one of the game barkers, and is upset when his girl can't go to the fair this year. And Margie (Jeanne Crain) just wants something to pull her out of her melancholy mood, as portrayed in the song, "It Might as Well Be Spring".

Each member of the family has their own adventures in store during their days at the fair, returning to the family camper each evening with their own thoughts and secrets. Margie spends her days and evenings with newspaper writer Pat (Dana Andrews)... will he be the change she's looking for? Wayne woos singer Emily (Vivian Blaine); how will that affect his relationship with the girl back home?

Our wonderful designer this week is Lynne who won the Audrey Award with this creation from Alice in Wonderland movie challenge. She suggested to us that it would be fun to have the challenge requirements be pennants!!! That definitely has a very "State Fair" kinda feeling - so for your creations - feel free to use as many or as little pennants as you would like!

***Also - we realize that this is not a mainstream movie that everyone can find - but there are a few clips from Youtube of some of the songs from this movie - so you might find some inspiration there - from the colors, to some of the lyrics of the song, to the dresses/costumes, to the background, etc. - hope that helps the creative process :))))

Our dearest Brooke is out on a wonderful adventure this weekend and will join us when she returns!

Sankari's Creation inspired by the movie: State Fair:
I have always loved musicals - its just so part of the Indian movie culture to suddenly and seamlessly burst forth into song and dance and then resume everyday dialogue, that watching musicals always just leave me feeling happy :) That was the whole feeling for me from this movie - it is just a simple, light and sweet musical - so my inspiration came from the general feeling of the movie that "life is good" - so I created this card with the sentiments: "Life is Good" and "Celebrate" (stamps from Taylored Expressions) and created the hanging pennants (also from TE) where some are paper pieced and some are colored in (for more details - please check out my blog!)
I have always loved going to the State Fair (can I just say two words: "Funnel Cake" YUM!) and it was fun to watch this movie and see how everyone comes together and celebrates at the State Fair! Can't wait to take my kids when the Fair comes to our town! yay!

I hope you have a chance to play along this week - its such a fun movie and so summery - and who doesn't love pennants!!! Can't wait to see your spectacular creations!
Big hugs,
Sankari :)

Guest Designer Lynne's Creation inspired by the movie: State Fair:
As a girl in Oregon, I was in 4-H and had to enter items to compete in the state fair, and even had to bake muffins in a test kitchen with the judges on the other side of the window! I also live in Perry, which is the home of the annual Georgia National Fair which draws almost half a million people each year - it's wonderful! And did you know that almost any kind of food you can think of is available at the fair, on a stick? Who knew?!! So it was the mom and dad entering the competitions that really inspired me.

I never had to do livestock in 4-H as we were a "town" chapter, plus I don't have a pig stamp, and I really empathized with Melissa's goal of a blue ribbon for her mincemeat pie!

Thanks so much Lynne for being our guest designer this week!! Those pies are lookin' mmm mmm good! And what a great blue ribbon, pennant display and sentiment! Simply Love all the great details!!! Please stop by Lynne's blog for all of the lovely details on her gorgeous card!!!

-----------------------
Who's going to be our next guest designer? It could be you! All you have to do is to create a card, layout, 3d creation (whatever you would like) that is inspired by the movie: State Fair and that uses the challenge requirement: p-e-n-n-a-n-t-s in your creation! Your creation can be inspried by anything in the movie, from the themes in the movie, to the dialogue, costumes, character, music, lyrics, quotes, events in the movie, furniture, time period - anything at all that inspires your creative "light bulb" to go on!!! Please share with us - where you got your inspiration from cause we love reading about your creative process!

You can post your challenge entry anytime from now till Thursday, July 1 at 8pm CST!
Can't wait to see your wonderful creations!
Big hugs,
the Cinema Sisters

PS- Just a quick head's up -we are 15 challenges away from our big 100th challenge!
Stay tuned in the coming weeks for the details of our 100th challenge celebration!!!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [26 Jun 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Unknown said...

Oh, what a fun challenge, let's see if I can come up with something this week :-)
I love both your samples, they're awesome! TFS, ~Ira

Karli said...

Beautiful cards ladies- I'm really inspired by them to play along this week! Hope, hope I can :)

Betty J Schaub said...

Oh I LOVE this movie!!! Again we have other versions: 1945 Jeanne Crain and Dana Andrews. 1962 Pat Boone, Bobby Darin and Ann Margaret. Personally my REAL fav. is the 1962 version as those actors were more current to my childhood. I was born in 1958. But Our State Fair is the Best State Fair any one you watch!
Looking forward to playing along this week. Got to get my done early those as I'll be out of town from the 1st through the 5th.

Thanks ladies for taking me back to my childhood and for always coming through with such terrific inspiration!!!

Tethered2Home said...

LOVE MUSICALS! You guys are the most fun for inspiration!

Blessings,
Amy.

PaperAddictJenn said...

I played along for the first time! Of course I can't see my link, but when I tried to add it again, it told me it was there. Thanks for the challenge!

Judy M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judy M. said...

"State Fair" is a great movie. My favorite is the one with Dana Andrews and Jeanne Crain.
What a great challenge movie!!

Libby Hickson said...

LOVE both of your samples for this - fantastic!!

BarbaraW said...

I tried to link my blog. It says the link exists, but I don't see my image in the group of images. My link is http://magicdelights.blogspot.com/2010/06/cinema-saturday-creative-challenge-85.html

Radha said...

http://pearltouch.blogspot.com/2010/07/cinema-saturday-state-fair.html


O Gosh is it Friday??
no it is Thursday... what time you close.. (sad I could not do it on time)

BIG ( )
RT

Barbara said...

I know my card is late but I am posting anyway. I made it and some baking failures which got me sooo behind... it can be fun to play along!http://polkadotpaperie.blogspot.com/2010/07/state-fair.html
((((HUGS ))))