Saturday, January 3, 2009

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge # 13 -Mama Mia



YAY!! Finally the big reveal!! You guys had great guesses and it was one of the most fun sneak peek previews we have had!!! So for all of you who were wondering about those boards and beams of light in the sneak peek, here is the sneak peek photo (definitely sneaky!!!) :

Sneak Peek Photo
See, this photo is not from a scary movie, just a hot guy movie nothing to be afraid of...LOL!!
You were all so stinkin' cute with your guesses..

Well, first a little bit about the movie Mama Mia!! For those of you who haven't seen it --- you really must!!! (unless you don't like musicals or ABBA, but for those of you who like musicals AND ABBA, then this movie is really, definitely for YOU!!!! This movie is just fantastic and full of fun and love and songs that will get you on your feet dancing!!

According to Wikipedia, Mama Mia is a stage to film movie that is based on the 1999 musical of the same name and is based on the songs of the hit group ABBA. It has become the MOST sucessful Hollywood musical of all-time and in Britain, it even beat out the movie Titanic for highest grossing film of all time!! Now, that is something!! You can read more about the movie here.

And for those of you who haven't seen it - you can check out the official home site of the movie version of Mama Mia! here. This is a great site - it shows a trailer for the movie, along with some great clips also! We hope you all have a chance to watch this beautiful, toe-tapping, amazingly fantastic musical!!! Its just full of beauty, sweetness and absolute fun!!!!!

Brooke's Quick Mama Mia inspired cards:

So I ran down to my little studio this morning I only had a short time to make a card, and I just had to do two... I was really inspired with the textiles in this movie.. In Donna room on here bed there is a coverlet that's white with red and white embroidery. I love the simplistic beauty of the red and white... I choose the Sentiment on this card because "Life happens" and you just have to keep moving forward and enjoy every moment wether you planned it or not. In Donna's room there is a blue and white pillow that stood out in my mind. I had to make it, it reminded me of Greece's flag.. What is more Greek than blue and white. Jump over to my blog a see my favorite picture of Donna and her gals walking through the most beautiful fabric in the whole movie.. If I get a chance I want to make a project with that fabric as a inspiration...

So for my Husbands birthday this last July, he choose to go to "Mama Mia" and dinner for his b-day. We had a great time.. We both grew up listening to ABBA so we pretty much could sing along. I think my dad even had a 8-track. We had a great time watching this movie. There was a group of ladies in the front of the theater that got up and danced and sang along... If I would have had a group of girls, I probably would have danced and sang right along with them. I bought the sound track a week later... I just couldn't resist. My 5 year old (4 at the time) was at the park one day just swinging away and started belting out the song "Mama Mia" and my friend started laughing..... What have you and your mom been listening to I wonder... He loves to listen to the CD in the car but only he gets to sing along... If we sing he says "no singing please". My 10 year old know the music and is just so bummed that I won't let her watch the show... She will just have to wait a few years...

I got this movie for Christmas this year so I am sure I will be viewing it multiple times... I have watched it 3 times already.... :)

I just wanted to thank all who guessed and commented in our sneak peek this time. I thought it was a hoot to read all your guesses. It's really fun when we get all our minds together...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Brooke


Sankari's Mama Mia Inspired Card

Okay - can I just say two things! First of all, you guys are AWESOME!! I had so much fun at the sneak peek last night (errr... this morning ;) I loved reading all your guesses and it was like a total slumber party!! Seriously, you guys totally are the best!! and secondly, I am soooooo excited about this movie!! I only watched it for the first time two days ago and already, I have seen the whole thing twice and certain songs about 30 times!! Just ask my poor dear husband, LOL!

I have to say, I kinda resisted watching this movie... don't ask me why... I mean, I completely adore Colin Firth and Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnon (ok... enough said!), but somehow, I just didn't want to watch it (what was I thinking!!!) and I knew this movie was coming up and I still hadn't seen it! but at the last minute, we got it and started watching it and thus started my love affair with this movie! I LOVE IT!!! So for all of you who might not have seen it - this movie musical is fan-tas-tic! or should I say FUN-tas-tic!!! (sorry, couldn't help it :) Seriously - its just absolute fun!!!

I had a project idea in my mind when I first started making a card for this movie - to make Aphrodite's Fountain of Love like seen in the movie and I was working on it... till suddenly when I looked at it -- it didn't so much look like a fountain - but more like a lot of mush thrown together... so I scrapped that idea really late in the game (just ask Ann and Samantha! who were up a little late with me ). So I fell back on my number 2 project idea (I had like a zillion project ideas for this movie... sheesh!) to create a card based on the song "Take a Chance on Me" using the colors pink and greek island water blue :). If you click on the song link above, it will take you to a Youtube video showing less than a minute of this song from the movie. I so love Julie Walter's doing this song!!! So from this song, I created this card:


I love this song - to me it totally summarizes this movie for me... (****spoiler alert for movie plot details - for those who don't want to know this - skip this paragraph :)
It shows the daughter Sophie taking a chance and inviting all her potential dads to her wedding, the three guys take a chance and leave their lives to come back to where they fell in love, Donna takes a chance at the end of the movie and reveals that she doesn't know who Sophie's dad is (which she was afraid to do since she didn't know what her daughter might think), Donna and Sam take a second chance on each other (soooo sweet!! and in the end they all take a chance on love and on following their dreams :) !!! Totally lOVE this song!! I have to dance everytime I sing... well, dancing and spinning around too :)

The opening of the shutters - is kind of like the opening of your heart to the possiblities in front of you ... for more details you can check out my blog :)

I have so enjoyed getting to meet you through this blog challenge and hope that this New Year brings you all amazing possiblites for you to take chances on!!! You all have been so sweet and supportive and just so fun!!! I love doing these challenges - because of all of YOU!!!!
Thank you so much for coming back each week and playing along - we absolutely love all of your creations - and are totally inspired by YOU!!!!

Happiest of new years to all of you!
lots of love,
Sankari :)
====================

So, a little something special for you this week!!! The Audrey receipient of THIS week's Mama Mia inspired project/card/scrapbook layout -- will be have their winning project featured on Paper Craft Planet! We hope - you have a chance to play along this week - its definitely a fun one!!!!!

Here are the rules:

Create a card or scrapbook layout or altered project that is inspired by the movie : MAMA MIA (it can be inspired from the movie jacket, the characters, the dialogue, the music, the costumes, the themes --- ANYTHING reallY!!) and then link your creation to us by commenting on this post. If you are using SplitCoast please use the KeyWord: CSCC#13 and if using PaperCraftPlanet - please use the Key Word - cinema saturday (all in lowercase)

Link your creation anytime from now until Thursday, January 8, 2009 (wow!) at 9pm PST!

Also, don't forget to check the Audrey recipient on the previous post for last week's Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge: An Affair to Remember. Thank you to everyone who visits us and for all those who play along !!! You have totally inspired us and we are thankful for all of YOU!!!!

Wishing you a magical and sparkle-y 2009 !!!!

Hugs and New Year Cheer!!!
Sankari and Brooke

18 comments:

Sankari W. said...

Brooke - I love love love that quote!! Its so true and its so perfect for this movie!! I love it in the end when Sophie realizes this very quote and sets off to find her "dream"... so beautiful!!! LOVE IT!!

and Carol - your first guess was totally right on!!!

I haven't had this much fun making a card in a long time!!! You guys are just the best!!!

Best wishes to all,
Sankari :)

Tethered2Home said...

Great cards! I laughed a bit a the "blue & white" all greek, it reminded me a bit of "my big fat greek wedding" & the dad & their wedding invites of the greek flag ...

Carol, I am dumbfounded that you got that, was just reading all the comments from yesterday & was having fun with that.

Will try to participate this week, pulled a surprise all nighter with the youngest being sick all night & still today ... functioning on minimal sleep, & humming ABBA music LOL.

Catch up with you in a while,
Amy.

Ann said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I saw the show LIVE, and it was AWESOME!!! Love, love, love me some ABBA! I heard Pierce Brosnan can't sing, but hey, if it's got Colin Firth, it can't be all bad, right? ;)

Carol Dunstan said...

OMG - I can't believe I guessed it! It was one of the first things that came to mind, but I kept telling myself that the ceiling (because I knew it was that scene) didn't let in that much light (but I guess it had to for them to see so well... what would happen when it rained? Everything up there would get wet! Oh ok, movie magic!).

Guess I have to make a card for this now... but like Grease and a few other movies you have done, I'm kinda put off because it's something my Mum played to death when I was little... and alas now my kids love Abba music! Anyway, we'll see what happens!

Carol Dunstan said...

PS, I like how you both used similar colours!

now if only I had that "sing like noone is listening" stamps

Brooke S said...

I love you all!! Thanks for making this week so fun! Sankari your card is so stinkin' sweet I love the door and the hearts all around it... I really need to get my craft mojo going to keep up with you... When I think of the phrase "take a change" I can't help thinking about the end of the movie and the cute Rosie pleading DON"T FORGET ME !! I and still hot!

I can't wait to see all your amazing cards!!!

Hot Chocolate hugs
Brooke

Sam said...

Oh WOW....this movie never even entered my mind! Good work Carol.....you rock!

I haven't seen Mamma Mia, show or movie, but was an ABBA fan as a teenager...and went to a few shows of some cover group (whose name I don't remember) when I was at Uni...so I know them tunes :-).

I KNOW they'll have this one at the vid shop so I'm good to go..YEAH!

Thanks for the fun Brooke and Sankari...I even had dreams about a shed last night...

Sam.

Sam said...

PS. Love your cards Brooke and Sankari.

I had to skip through bits of the post so as not to spoil any of the movie plot. I'll come back and read it properly later.

Have a great day,
Sam.

Sankari W. said...

oh Sam - sooo sorry about your shed dream!!!

You will definitely LOVE this movie Sam if you like ABBA!!! I only saw it a few days ago and I have seen it sooo many times since then!! I seriously had a blast creating last night - it was so fun to watch this movie and sing the songs and dance in my chair and stamp away!!!

Have fun!!
Thanks for all the sweet comments you guys!!! You are seriously all awesome!!!

Lots of hugs around!!
Sankari :)

Tethered2Home said...

Oh my, you girls make me laugh & I needed that today. Thanks so much for the fun reprieve in the crafting studio today!

If You Knew My Emma

TTFN,
Amy.

Sherri said...

Oh I love any movie with Colin Firth in it! This is the first chance I've had to make anything since Christmas! Here's mine for this week...
http://rosesinmyheart.blogspot.com/

and now I'm off to look at other peoples:)

Anonymous said...

Love the cards you both made! This movie was so much FUN! I didn't even mind that Pierce Brosnan couldn't sing! Everything else made up for it. Great choice.
smiles,Deena

Sam said...

Got my card done today...after a fair bit of faffing about:

My card.

Thanks for the movie girls....it was fun.

All the best,
Sam.

Tanya said...

Haha- the guesses are all so entertaining to read. Its a happy little flick. :) I got to play with this one! Here's my card: http://tanyastampsnthings.blogspot.com/2009/01/mamma-mia.html

Carol Dunstan said...

yay, I got my card done!

http://inkantations-and-inkarnations.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinema-saturday-13.html

Nancy Ward said...

Hi!

Today I posted an entry on my blog with a link to the Challenge.

Would you let me know if that's OK?

Thanks,

Nancy Ward
http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com

Anthonette said...

Sorry, girls for running late. Here's mine:
http://chavezdesigns.blogspot.com/2009/01/lets-save-our-money-money-money.html

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

This card is GORGEOUS!!! I hate I missed this one! I will try to be more on top of things now that the holidays have passed! this looked like a lot of fun!!!